Description About Agincourt collegiate institute
Welcome to Agincourt collegiate institute
Agincourt Collegiate Institute (known locally as ACI or Agincourt), formerly known as Agincourt High School and Agincourt Continuation School founded in 1915 as Agincourt Continuation School to provide part of the then secondary schooling in the Agincourt area (final years or junior/senior matriculation were done in Markham High School until 1930). Until 1929 it was housed on the second floor in what is now Agincourt Junior Public School building on the west side of Midland Avenue north of Sheppard Avenue.
With the opening of Scarborough High School, the first traditional high school in Scarborough, in 1922, the school was evolved into Agincourt High School in 1930, with its first permanent home opened on the east side of Midland Avenue in 1929, a three-floor brick building.
After the Scarborough Board of Education was formed in 1954, the second and current building replaced the second school in 1956. Agincourt High was re-established as Agincourt Collegiate Institute in 1957
Principal: Mira Nam-Wong
Agincourt collegiate institute offers French Immersion and Extended French programs from Grades 9 through 12 and that is a great opportunity for teenagers who interested in French.
Agincourt Collegiate Institute (known locally as ACI or Agincourt), formerly known as Agincourt High School and Agincourt Continuation School is well known for its award-winning music program. The ACI Music department prides itself on the idea of "Tradition, Excellence and Legacy". Currently, there are 16 performing ensembles at Agincourt C.I. as well as a music technology (MIDI) program. They are:
- Wind Ensemble - gr. 9-10
- Wind Symphony - gr. 10-12 (Auditioned)
- Festival Winds - gr. 10-12 (Auditioned)
- Concert Choir - gr. 9-10
- Agincourt Singers - gr. 10-12
- Men's Chorus - gr. 10-12
- Women's Chorus - gr. 10-12
- Madrigal Singers - gr. 10-12 (Auditioned)
- Concert Orchestra - gr. 9-10
- Junior Symphony - gr. 9-10
- Symphony Orchestra - gr. 10-12
- Chamber Orchestra - gr. 10-12 (Auditioned)
- Little Bit's O Jazz - gr. 9
- Xperiment - gr. 9-10
- North East Jazz - gr. 11-12
- Guitar Ensemble - gr. 10-12
Listening to music can also help you learn and recall information more efficiently, researchers say. Though it depends on the degree to which you like the music and whether or not you play an instrument. A study showed that musicians actually learned better with neutral music, but tested better with music that they liked; whereas non-musicians learned better with positive music but tested better with neutral music. Therefore, the degree of performance differentiates between learning and memory for musicians and non-musicians.
Did you know that Agincourt Collegiate is the oldest secondary school in the former legacy board of Scarborough?
ACI has a lot of accomplishments such as:
- In 2012, two grade 12 students sent a Lego-man helium balloon into the atmosphere.
- In 2012, Louie Papathanasakis was named one of Canada's Outstanding Principals.
- In 1999, the school's Reach for the Top team won the Scarborough city championship and went on to compete in the provincial finals.
- In 2019, both the girls' and boys' indoor cricket team went on to win the indoor cricket city championships. The girls' also won city championships during the outdoor season.
Sharone Vernon-Evans, professional volleyball player
Jan Carinci, former CFL football player, member of the 1983 Grey Cup champions Toronto Argonauts
Jim Carrey, actor and comedian (attended in grade 10)
Anson Carter, former NHL player (Boston Bruins, Washington Capitals, Edmonton Oilers, New York Rangers, Los Angeles Kings, Carolina Hurricanes, Vancouver Canucks, Columbus Blue Jackets)
Bill Crothers, won a silver medal at the 1964 Summer Olympics, inducted into Canadian Olympic Hall of Fame (1965)
Dean Dorsey, former CFL and NFL football player
Killy, Musical Artist. Best known for hit song "Killamanjaro"
Ted Barris, author and broadcaster.
Michael Overs, founder of Pizza Pizza
Bruce Simpson, former Olympian pole vaulter
Agincourt collegiate institute Information
What do students and parents think about Agincourt collegiate institute?
Average rating: --
Add your Review about Agincourt collegiate institute:
How do I contact Agincourt collegiate institute
Agincourt collegiate institute has
- Founded in 1915
- 1500 (approximately) students
- Rating and Review
- Future updates
Grades and Fields
Report this school or content
Report school content